The Ministry of Development, Industry and Trade, through the Direction of Standardization and Metrology (DNM), coordinates and oversees the National Standardization System, whose overall objective is to promote the continuous improvement of production processes and quality of processes and services.
The functions and services of the Direction of Standardization and Metrology are developed in close collaboration with the private sector, academic and scientific sector and consumers, and include:
- Development, updating and adoption of Voluntary Standards (NTN)
- Preparation and updating of Mandatory Technical Standards (NTON), equivalent to Technical Regulations.
- Activities under the metrological control for measuring instruments, determined by law.
- Administration of the Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Coordination of national activities and representation before International Organizations for Standardization (ISO, CODEX, ASTM, COPANT).
- Provide information on Standards and Technical Regulations.
- Promote the standardization system through holding forums, seminars, workshops, etc.
Dirección de Normalización y Metrología
Ministerio de Fomento, Industria y Comercio
KM 6 Carretera a Masaya
Tel: +505 22489300 (ext. 2276)
Fax: +505 22489300 (ext. 2228)